Function: Under the supervision of the Director of Accounting, assists in the maintenance of the
accounting and tax records of the College.
Description of Duties and Tasks:
- Works with the VP for Finance, the Director of Accounting and the accounting team to
record, reconcile with accuracy for the College with a focus on thoughtful and discerning
stewardship of financial resources.
- Works closely with the Director of Accounting communicating effectively issues that
need further input and clarification.
- Prepares standard monthly journal entries and journal entry transfer requests and works
collaboratively with various departments in resolving issues timely.
- Analyze accounts for accuracy and reconciliation. Be proficient in Microsoft Excel and
College software products to accomplish this task.
- Integrates data from other software products into the financial software.
- Formats and processes General Ledger Chargebacks into the financial software through
our GL Chargeback tool.
- Approves in Workplace as final approval on a daily basis checking account numbers,
budget deficits and requisition type.
- Records and reconciles monthly and yearly Annuities and Charitable Remainder Unit
- Reconciles student transactions monthly to general ledger working collaboratively with
Student Financial Services.
- Reconciles donations transactions monthly to general ledger working collaboratively with
Development Operations Team.
- Reconciles Investment accounts to general ledger.
- Reconciles Federal Direct Loans monthly.
- Reconciles Accounts Payable credit card statement to general ledger working
collaboratively with AP on discrepancies.
- Records and reconciles Balance, Mobility and Wellness Center monthly activity.
- Responsible for maintaining, recording and depreciating Fixed Assets for the Director of
- Works with Accounts Payable with year-end closing.
- Performs month-end and year-end closings.
- Enters and prepares monthly prepayments and year-end accrual work papers for audit.
- Prepares 1099 filings and corrections every January collaborating with the Office
Manager and transmits with Director of Accounting approval after review.
- Serves as a backup for the Cash Management Accountant.
- Assists the VP for Finance and Director of Accounting with other accounting procedures
and work papers when needed
- Assist with budget transfers when needed.
- Backup to Office Manager in Workplace setup.
- Assists with Audit work papers as requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
In order to fully perform the above functions, the incumbent must possess the following
knowledge, skills and abilities, or demonstrate that the major responsibilities of the job can be
accomplished, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and
- Must profess faith in Jesus Christ as Lord; must accept Gordon’s Statement of Faith;
must practice Christian values in daily interactions with students, faculty, staff and the
public as outlined by Gordon’s Statement of Life and Conduct; and must work to advance
Gordon’s mission through this position.
- Works with team members, other departments and students with a perspective of
collaboration and service with an attitude and approach that is welcoming and positive.
- Uses opportunities to educate other colleagues with a focus towards advancing the
mission of God.
- Must possess sound knowledge of and practical experience in the application of basic
principles of accounting. Accounting experience is required. Bachelor’s degree in
- Must have a broad understanding of the financial operations of the College and its
accounting policies and procedures.
- Skill and accuracy in computation.
- Must possess interpersonal and communication skills for effective and respectful
- Must possess analytical accounting skills.
- Works in independently and possesses problem solving skills.
- Must have an aptitude to working with multiple software systems.
- Must be knowledgeable and proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. Knowledge and experience in Microsoft Dynamics GP, Jenzabar and CASHNet preferred.
Position Code: CON-GA-1
FLSA Status: Non-exempt